Author Topic: What are the top 10 named peaks in North Island  (Read 5602 times)

What are the top 10 named peaks in North Island
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:28:32 AM »
Ive seen a few incomplete lists about, but is there any such thing as an official top 10? 1-3 is simple...

1. Ruapehu 2797
2. Taranaki 2518
3. Ngarauhoe 2287

Then

? Tongariro 1967 ? Do you include it as a seperate or is it a sub of Ngarauhoe?  Im inclined to say seperate
? Fanthams Peak 1962 ? Ditto question sepeartate or is it a sub of Taranaki? Doesnt seem to have a prominance next to taranaki as tongariro does against ngarauhoe (no saddle to speak of?), but then again it is named

Hikurangi 1752
Mangaweka 1731
Makaroko 1727
Kaweka J 1724

Then what?

Whanokao at 1618m?  Is there any other named peaks higher than this about?
Mitre 1571?? Umakaririkari 1591??

Anyone have any input/ sources of authority?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:32:43 AM by vinodrinker »

Re: What are the top 10 named peaks in North Island
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
I guess determining what you rate as a seperate peak is really the question. This no doubt varies considerably upon your own personal point of view.

Your no.1 on the list for example, Ruapehu, actually has 12 "official" peaks alone on it (Tahurangi, Te Ataahua, Paretetaitonga, Te Heuheu, Tukino, Dome, L Peak, Pyramid, Cathedral Rocks, Glacier Knob, Mitre, Girdlestone) - and even some of these are open to interpretation as to whether they're classed as seperate peaks or not. In fact it's one of the classic alpine challenges to climb all 12 in a day by the way. I tried it once and only managed 11, so that is still on my very long to-do list!

Of course for the purpose of peak bagging, I think it's obvious that we can look on Ruapehu as a whole, and treat it as one seperate mountain with just one peak to knock off to claim it as a bag -ahh, but which one...   ;)

So if we treat Ruapehu as one peak, then, Ngauruhoe, Tongariro and Taranaki seem obvious picks after that. Fanthams Peak did surprise me a little for being on the list, as yes, I'd consider it more just a bump on the way up Naki as well. Sure it's named, but so are all the other peaks on Ruapehu. It's a bit like Girdlestone or even the Great Pinnacle (yet another one!) on Ruapehu in that respect - both peaks on the side of it which are also named, and more prominant.

You may have opened up a can of worms here Vino, but an interesting subject to discuss never-the-less. It would be interesting to see if there is a "top 10" list out there somewhere for fellow nutters to obsess over.

By the way, if you fancy another taste of the white stuff, I can see a winter climb up the south side of 'Naki, taking in Fanthams on the way for you next year if you're keen. Sure beats the scoria!

'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:32:02 AM »
I assume you've seen this list Vino: http://www.peakbagging.co.nz/The-Mountains-of-NZ-Jan-06.pdf  ?

No list by North Island I don't think..... but an answer (of sorts) will be in there if you care to trawl through it....

yes I think prominence is the best way to measure it.... seen this list?  http://www.peaklist.org/WWlists/oceania/New_Zealand_N_600m.html

Of course pure prominence is one thing - accessibility is another...  I guess it depends on what you mean by the 'top 10' peaks...?  The highest? The most prominent?  The best views?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:35:08 AM by Jon (aka site admin) »

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:47:54 AM »
Jon

Both those lists I have seen, but both have problems in my book

eg, the alpine list has ommissions in my mind eg.  Why is Mt Crawford there but Mt Holdsworth (which is taller) not there?  Must have something to do with their definitions, and prominance needs?

eg the prominance list excludes peaks such as Tongariro.  Defines Ngarauhoe as Tongariro's tallest crater?

its all a big can of worms.  Argue over rules, then there are always exceptions, bla bla

Oh well

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:11:27 AM »
I think the best way is by 'fame' ... or put better, 'public recognition'

That is, ask most people what North Island mountains they can name - and they'd probably get about as far as Ruapehu, Tongariro, Nguaruhoe, and Taranaki - and maybe Hikurangi.  Pushed further to include tiny hill 'mountains' they know of, they might include Maunganui and Rangitoto, and those with an interest in tramping might start mentioning peaks in the Tararuas, Pinnacles, Waikato volcanoes etc etc...

But yeah, that doesn't answer your first question, which is about height really.  There is something in that alpine list about how they compiled it - I think it was to do with prominence too.

The other thing to throw in, is that possibly, if measured from the seabed, some of our biggest mountains are our offshore islands...   ;D

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:33:35 AM »
The North Island list looks a bit dubious. For a start, they've listed Ruapehu's prominence as being the same as it's elevation - that can't be right. To leave out Tongariro is just wrong surely. And what exactly is prominence - in relation to what?

Maybe it all comes down to your own gut feeling - a combination of height, prominence, and your own interpretation of it. There must be some sort of general concensus out there somewhere though!
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »
The North Island list looks a bit dubious. For a start, they've listed Ruapehu's prominence as being the same as it's elevation - that can't be right. To leave out Tongariro is just wrong surely. And what exactly is prominence - in relation to what?

I think from memory prominance is defined the vertical climb between the peak in question and the saddle (lowest point) between that peak and the closest peak with a higher elevation

so ruapehu having a prominance as high as its elevation will be correct as the "saddle" is sea level as ruapehu is the highest peak on the island

Ngarauhoe would have its prominance calculated by measuring the vertical climb from the tama saddle to its summit as the closest higher mountain is ruapehu

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:36:43 PM by vinodrinker »

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »

Maybe it all comes down to your own gut feeling - a combination of height, prominence, and your own interpretation of it. There must be some sort of general concensus out there somewhere though!

To me the top 8 are simple:

Ruapehu
Taranaki
Ngarauhoe
Tongariro
Hikurangi
Managaweka
Makaroko
Kaweka J

After that?  Not sure

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:54:53 PM »
Ledge, where are you mate? I'm sure you can shed a bit of light on this topic for us!

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:35:23 AM »
I've just come across the February/March issue of Intrepid magazine from a climbing friend. This is where the Makorako article came from. They list in there the 8 highest peaks, which agrees with your list Vino. But they stop at 8  :(

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 08:18:35 AM »
after this weekend only 1 to go out of the top 8 list for me :-)

just that little makorako drive by to deal to?

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 03:08:36 AM »
Alpine List attached below for discussion (no copyright breach you can reproduce for non commercial purposes it says)

Most obvious difference is it does not include Tongariro or Ngauruhoe, which differs from my accepted top 8 but hey. So my top 8

1. Ruapehu
2. Taranaki
3. Ngauruhoe
4. Tongariro
5. Hikurangi
6. Mangaweka
7. Makorako
8. Kaweka J

Ignoring variation to alpine list for these, we can at least use it to help us define the next two. The next named peaks after Kaweka on this list are:

9. Karikaringa 1694m asl (Ruapehu/Kaimanawa) Whatever that is, never heard of it. Can you climb it? I think you can from a few trip reports ive scanned on the internet. Seems you leave from the same place as urchin or umakarikari hike. not sure as to whether it is a long day hike or multi. here is a pic taken by pmcke from urchin, perhaps he could comment on getting there if he sees this post :-)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v424/pmcke/Tramping%20Trips/Waipakahi%20Trip%2017-2-08/?action=view&current=DSC04410_th.jpg

10. Te Atuaoparapara 1687m asl (Eastern Ruahines).  Seen it from Mangaweka and yip you can climb it from Waipawa.  Perhaps a very long day hike but huts along way. The below picture looks impressive!! Looks a good hard day out!

http://tramper.co.nz/?4714
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:08:16 PM by vinodrinker »

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »
 Karikaringa is in the Kaimanawas, and does look pretty inviting. You should be able to get to it OK across the tops if you turn off right on your way to Thunderbolt. Could make a nice day walk! See map with Umukarikari route marked to get you oriented.
Looking at the map, an alternative and more direct route may be to river bash up the Waipakihi River, pick a ridge and bush bash up. No doubt there is a track to it though - you may find more info online.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
I noticed that there is potentially some private land to cross on the direct route up from the river. I checked this out with DOC, but it shouldn't be an issue. Access from the lower Waipakihi is going to be only a couple of k's less than if you go via The Urchin. However it will involve a lot less elevation gain enroute. But then it's probably also going to involve a bush bash up onto the tops (not to mention a river bash to start), so probably much of a muchness whichever way you go.
Sounds like another nice potential peakbagging recce trip... and should be a nice daywalk either way  ;D

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:13:36 AM »
bush bash and nice in same paragraph? im thinking you got something wrong there!  ;D