Author Topic: Mt Manuoha  (Read 1476 times)

Mt Manuoha
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »
Camped at Orangihikoia, a free Doc site 6KM north of start of Manuoha track.  Dropped off buddy & gear at track start and continued onto Aniwaniwa Visitor Centre (the end of track circuit) where I park Ute up and mountain biked the mainly downhill 21Kms back to track start (located just North of Hopuruahine landing being the great walk start/end point).   Left bike in bush and tramped to Manuoha trig in 4 Hrs. (Doc sign says 7Hrs).  Track is steep & wet for about 1Hr then levels out and is a very pleasant track with lovely bush and sandy underfoot.  Sub alpine soon presents the trig that affords 360* views with National Park visible in the distance.  Manuoha hut (6 bunks, 1 ticket, wood fire take dry kindling & paper) is 5mins further in Goblin Forest.
Sandy Bay Hut (18 bunks, wood fire, must pre book online) was Doc signed as 7Hr it took us 5Hr is well worth a night stopover if time allows.  As we left Manuoha at 8:00am we had the sun shining through Goblin forest making it a most pleasant hike to Sandy Bay.  Its a further 2:18 to Waikareiti day shelter (my most favourite spot toilets nearby) for a break and just 0:40min to visitor centre.
Make sure you do the Lous lookout and Rata tree on Ngamoko track if you have a few spare hours, they are highlights for me.  Some of the best bush tramping Ive done.  Think Mt Ngamoko Trig (1099m) should be on the bagging list.