Author Topic: Misty mountain hop  (Read 877 times)

Misty mountain hop
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:04 AM »
Started the tramp with a less than inviting winter morning, but after just over an hour and a half of driving I wasnít about to turn back just because it was a bit wet.

Headed up Scotsmanís Gully, and I can see how this would be a stunning part of the tramp, but a recent storm looked to have played a bit of havoc and half the vegetation seemed to be in the stream. After a short while I popped out on the metal road and followed it for a little while before the right turn off to the Karangahakeís Peak.

The tramp from here is fairly tame with an easy gradient. Before long I got to the fork in the track that gave you the option of following the standard track or taking the shortcut. I knew although it was more direct it was also supposed to be a bit steep, and with the wet morning I considered taking the more established route, but in the end I decided to try out the shortcut. At the end of the day if it was too gnarly I could just backtrack.

The shortcut was in a very good state and I cannot complain at all about it being too steep, before I knew it I was at the top and met up with the main track. I initially headed right to check out what looked like a radio tower set up, then backtracked and headed for the trig. I wish I could have told you it is a beautiful view, but from about 250-300m I was in cloud country. 1hr 30min up, leisurely 1hr down.

It would have been a pity to shoot off after just the peak and with plenty of gas left in the tank I knocked off the Windows, Underground Pump house, Crown & Crown Tramway walks and after dropping off my pack with the car topped it off with the Rail Tunnell Loop as well. Recommend it to anyone, especially the Windows walk.