Author Topic: Kapakapanui  (Read 1004 times)

Kapakapanui
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
17 Mar 12

Was supposed to be a nice sunny fine day. Weather was pretty good, not as perfectly clear as I had hoped, but still pretty good weather. Especially for the Tararuas!   ;D

Took Saranac with me while JR stayed home to study. Used my Vibram Five-Finger "toe shoes" to cross the streams then changed into nice dry socks and boots when the trail started to climb. Why get my boots wet?! ;D

As usual, I did everything backwards from everyone else. I went up the steep track and did the loop in the counter-clockwise direction. The steep track was certainly steep. Had to stop a few times to catch my breath and grab a drink of water. Felt out of shape but guess I did okay on time. Doesn't matter how fast I go, I always want to go faster if I don't have anyone with me to keep pace. Sign at the bottom of the steep climb said 4 hours to the top, made it in a little less than 3 hours.

It was a bit muddy at the summit but sounds like it usually is worse! The walk along the ridge line was my favorite part. Took a few breaks to take pictures and eat some snacks. It was a little hazy along the horizon but pretty good weather overall, not much wind either.

Made my way down to the hut for a little look around and then ready to get on down the trail and back to the car. It was still steep in places going down this trail. I'm not sure which way is better. I usually like to go up the steep trail and down the more gentle side. But both sides of the loop have some real steep spots. Just be careful and watch your step!  ;D Changed back to toe shoes for the river crossings and the walk out. The cool water felt great on my feet at the end of the day!  

According to the DOC signs, it should have taken me 8-9 hours going in the counter clockwise direction. I made it in 6 hours 21 minutes, including changing my shoes for the river crossings and some photo and snack breaks. Regardless of time, it was a nice day to be outside and the trip was pretty nice.

GPS data: Distance 11.12km, Kapakapanui Summit = 1102m (3637ft), Total Ascent = 1020m (3366ft)
http://www.skimble.com/paths/57605-kapakapanui-loop

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:46:35 PM by HummingBird »
"The mountains are call and I must go." -John Muir