Poll

Suggestion that Richmond Range peaks should be added to the peaks

yes
4 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Richmond Range peaks  (Read 1244 times)

Richmond Range peaks
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
Just a suggestion that some of the more popular Richmond Range peaks should be added to the official list. Mt Riley, Mt Baldy, Mt Royal, Mt Fishtail, Mt Richmond, My Rintoul and Mt Patriarch should be there.
Outside of the Richmond Range I could name many others, but the most major, regularly climbed peak would be Mt Tapuaenuku on the Inland Kaikouras.

Re: Richmond Range peaks
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »
please specify range of Richmond.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
I totally agree. Ive recently climbed most of these peaks, about 16, as a daytrip without mountaineering gear.
Even in winter, Mt Starveall & Mt Slaty dont really :) need iceaxes, perhaps Mt Richmond, Fell , Fishtail or Rintoul might after heavy snows.
>>> These are big peaks (many over 700m) & deserve to be on the SI list ASAP.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
I totally agree, we have recently done Ben Nevis, Mt Duppa and Dunn Mountain is on our list to do

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 06:27:21 AM »
I've climbed a lot of these as well and they are all easy scrambles in summer normally on scree or through bush. Iceaxe/crampons and some technical skill may be required at times in winter but that is true for almost any South Island peak of 1500m or more.

All have public access and are enjoyable trips achievable as day trips (some, such as Baldy, would be rather long).

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:14:39 AM »
Agreed, was surprised at the lack of Richmond Ranges peaks. I know it's a pretty underrated/overlooked area, but I thought there would be the main ones.

Going to head up there in a couple of weeks.

Dun Mountain is a good one. Was going to vote for it on the page, but it has no info, except the part about it also being known as Little Twin, which is wrong anyway.

EDIT: These forums seem pretty dead anyway by the looks of it.