Author Topic: Waipakahi Hut to Kainmanawa Rd  (Read 3700 times)

Waipakahi Hut to Kainmanawa Rd
« on: June 05, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
We had got to the hut in fantastic conditions via Umakarikari the previous day (see trip log under Umakarikari). The experiance of the late arrivals meant that we changed our plans which originally involved returning back via the river. Instead we got up early (my friend was supposed to be back in auckland for 9.30pm !!!) and went back over Umakarikari again. The climb back up out of the misty dawn was quite magicaland we made it back to the turnoff to Urchin in pretty good time.

Now this is a relatively new path across the ridge to Urchin and the track condition is far from ideal. Even before you descend below the tree line, there is a fair chance you might lose the pole markers in poor visability. The tussock land is quite eroded in places but all this is a peice of cake compared to that silver beech wooded ridge. (All beech forests are not the same!!!)

The track condition and seemingly endless up and down with no visability eventually sapped my morale and energy as I found my self walking further than I had gone before. There was large numbers of fallen trees though there had been a number of efforts to try and keep the track open.

As we emerged from the cursed ridge (oh did I curse it at the end) the weather truly closed in. The final slog over Urchin was a fairly low visability affair and it was with some relief that we reached the trig point and began our descent.

The forest on the way down should have been magnificent. It was still special but the possums had truly had their wicked way with many of the largest of the Red Beeches. It really was quite sickening to see. I even thought up a solution - I'll post in the discussion area so as not to hijack the thread.

Eventually walked out of woods just as the darkness set in. It was a good 10hrs tramp and in late May that's about as long as you want. I am looking forward to having another crack in summer - might even try the river then
Fortune Favours The Brave or The Unlucky Learn To Be Cautious?

Re: Waipakahi Hut to Kainmanawa Rd
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
Great hike! Kaimanawas are great aye, hard work but rewarding

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:00:13 AM »
Great hike! Kaimanawas are great aye, hard work but rewarding
I was a bit wasted the next day - gotta say the Kaimanawas are going to be a favourite for a while. They had so many places that I want to go back and summit. Next challenge is a two-nighter and heading in deeper. I won't be emulating you and GG's epic attempt.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:19:27 AM »
yeah they always seem to end up epic up there. i still have nightmares about our karikaringa hike. that was really hard work especially at constant flank speed (which is GG's slow.)

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Yes, you must do the river-bash section on the way out next time. But do it in the summer and it's lovely! Plus you then get to go over the Urchin again and enjoy the views this time - fantastic!

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:15:37 AM »
yeah i "love" that climb up from the river to urchin  ;D :'(

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:23:18 AM »
heya, great pics and nice maps screenshot.  Did you do that height profile in Google Earth Pro?  Just wondering what software you used for that?

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 03:58:22 AM »
heya, great pics and nice maps screenshot.  Did you do that height profile in Google Earth Pro?  Just wondering what software you used for that?
Nope, just the standard google earth. It takes a bit of effort to mark out the path but I like to do that so my sense of direction is prepared. The elevation profile comes out of the created path options - just called "show elevation profile".

Had a thought about the river bash option ... carry a couple of rubber rings up to the hut and then float back towards the Urchin climb in luxury!!!  ;D