Author Topic: Mt Moehau  (Read 9770 times)

Mt Moehau
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »
Certainly looks great from Auckland!!

Re: Mt Moehau
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:34:31 PM »
Is there a path up Mt Moehau?  Iim new to NZ, but have got a couple of recent Wilderness magazines and both seem to disagree one suggests it is, the other says the summit should be avoided.  I also got a Spot X tramping guide, which mentions a route from the east and the west. 

I couldn't find the route on the western side and asked a few people who seemed to have no idea, I followed what looked like it could have been a path, but ended up after the pasture land in deep bush with no chance of further progress.  A pity since it was a great day, ended up spending the remainder of the day biking instead.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
well i know people that have done the trip so i expect so. there seems to be so much contrary info about this hike.  i wonder who knows for sure???  its a long drive to find out first hand!!

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:28:35 AM »
Is it DOC maintained land?  I can't instantly see it when googling "DOC moehau".  A call to the Thames information centre would probably clarify things (where's that to do list of mine?).   I think when researching this earlier I was unsure about whether you could actually get right to the summit, because it was sacred Maori land....?   

oh here we go (from http://www.jasons.com/New-Zealand/Coromandel-Town/things-to-do:

Mt Moehau
A full day hike to the summit of Mt Moehau and back. Hikers are not permitted to walk on the summit, which is sacred to local Maori.

It certainly looks like a great spot though...  http://www.teara.govt.nz/NewZealanders/MaoriNewZealanders/HaurakiTribes/2/ENZ-Resources/Standard/2/en

also see http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~say.map/moehau.html - so it seems there is definitely a way up.

I also just saw on wikipedia there is a bigfoot of Moehau: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moehau - that's pretty cool.

Mmmm, one of the many interesting conundrums of compiling a list like this for NZ.  The irony is that many North Island summits are sacred to Maori, but some seem to be more sacred others - or at least, there are explicit requests not climb on the summit itself.  There is another summit like this near Pureora, near Taupo.

I guess it depends on how hung up we are about reaching the true summit of a peak....?

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 06:00:14 AM »
Google maps locates the track well.  I have emailed doc see if they know anything. perhaps the track is just difficult to find, perhaps it has been closed - i cant find any recent reports.

which ever way it certainly looks like a great climb. ive heard people say they have been on to the summit so perhaps the stay off the summit depends on whether a) you know the request and b) whether you take any notice.  I guess it comes down to respecting the place as any other significant place but i doubt there is an armed guard posted there

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:16:22 AM »
Just got confirmation from coromandel visitors centre that this track is closed and has been for 5 or 6 years due to kiwi sanctuary work and a number of rescues that had to be carried out.  Apparently you can get summer heli rides up to the summit and hike down....dunno how that works but hey.

looks like we can remove it form the 'possibles' list and add it to the 'if only' list

sad, it looks a great peak  >:(

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:48:09 AM »
Oh that's a shame...   

Yes interesting how the track is closed only on the way up, not down....  but anyway, hopefully it will reopened again one day.

I am intrigued by the moehau bigfoot though.  I never heard of that one before....  moas in fiordland - yes, black panthers in canterbury - yes.  But not bigfoots in the coromandel.. genius
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:35:41 AM by Jon (aka site admin) »

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:26:20 AM »
I just got an email from DOC confirming the same Mt Moehau track has been closed for years.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »
I climbed up the track on the east side, sometime around 1993, pretty sure it wasn't "closed" then, it still featured on the park map of that time. 
Track was not easy to follow around 3/4 of the way up where the terrain is mostly flax or similar with lots of muddy bash tracks heading all over the place. 
The track is shown on Google Maps if you zoom right in.
DOC says lots of tracks are closed.  In reality, I've usually found they're still easy to follow, often still marked with pieces of white venetian blind nailed to trees.  Some of them have had the starts obscured by plantings for the first 10's of metres but beyond that the track remains. 
The table mountain track still had a logbook station not far from the west side junction about 10 years ago, and that track has been "closed" since at least the early eighties.
The Hihi-Broken Hills track was closed ages ago too, but that's all easy going too.
The Moss Creek Hut site track from the Kauranga valley may also have been closed, that did have a section where a tree had taken part of the hillside away making it hard to traverse. 
Similarly there was a spot on the Kaitarakihi-Hihi track where the ridge had been ripped away by a tree leaving a cliff but you could get around that too. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:27:26 AM by nz_aj »

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
There seems a limited amount of tracks in the Coromandel beside the Pinnacles, what's the reason for closing them?

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 06:55:44 AM »
Money.
There are actually a lot of tracks once you get off the tourist trail.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »
Money.
There are actually a lot of tracks once you get off the tourist trail.
Ta, for the reply, so when a tracks closed a la Table Mountain, does that mean it's out of bounds or what.

I don't mind walking the less popular trails, but don't want to be getting into trouble doing so.  There's certainly an awful lot of 'private roads' when it comes to mountain biking.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 04:07:27 AM »
The ranger at the pinnacles hut says its still possible to do. It's not a case of being allowed, just a case of having the navigation skills and determination.

He said the greatest issue is you can't really determine where the summit is being so flat and featureless on the top

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
The ranger at the pinnacles hut says its still possible to do. It's not a case of being allowed, just a case of having the navigation skills and determination.

He said the greatest issue is you can't really determine where the summit is being so flat and featureless on the top

Thanks for the reply, there's undoubtedly some great walking in NZ but at times access can be infuriatingly very restrictive, attached picture from the Hunua range at the weekend, a wide forest track leading from the Upper Mangatawhiri Dam across to the Ness Valley.  Needless to say I ignored this particular sign  :-X
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:21:14 PM by lloydy »

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 03:58:59 AM »
I've seen the west side Moehau track shown on some maps in the bookshops last week.  If it's in current print (2009/2010) it suggests the track is open?

The track more or less follows the Hope Stream for a good distance up the mountain.
I happened to be driving to/from Port Jackson at new years & had a bit of a look in the areas around each of the streams that cross the road as I drove past.  There are no track signs or stream name signs at the bridges or fords.  I couldn't see an obvious track, the flat areas around the streams are farmland.

To find the track I think I'd have to be travelling northbound, set the car trip meter at the point where the road comes out at the coast to the north of Waiaro Stream.  There are no other good points of reference on my map.  Drive north about 1km and find the Urarima stream.  Set the trip meter again.  Drive north about 2km and find the Hope stream.

FYI, my map showing the east & west side Moehau tracks, and Table mountain track notes a "limited revision 1990".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:25:11 PM by nz_aj »