Author Topic: Ridge between Umukarikari and Urchin  (Read 2434 times)

Ridge between Umukarikari and Urchin
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:13:30 AM »
DOC have cut a track along the ridge between Umukarikari and Urchin. When I was last there a month or so ago there was still 600m at the Umukarikari end that had been marked but not yet cut.

This will make it a feasible round day trip taking in both Umukarikari and Urchin.

Care is needed going down the ridge from Umukarikari towards the bush. It is not yet marked and route finding might be an issue in fog.

DOC do intend to mark and signpost this route when the track cutting is finished, which hopefully will be before next summer.

Re: Ridge between Umukarikari and Urchin
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
I presume this track is finished now, I noticed it when I was walking back from the Waipakihi hut along the river onto Urchin on sunday.  It was signposted from both sides (Urchin and Sharp Cone).

As you say it would make a potential excellent nearly round 1 day trip.  Nearly in that there's a 5 k hike between the two ends, it would be worth doing that first, as I did at the start of my two day hike. 

If the weather's right (it was for me see pics on the Umukarikari thread plus these) certainly some stunning views from the Umukarikari range.

I arrived at the hut early and with the great weather decided to hike up to junction top (1605m another potential peak?) on a track  not marked on the map, but clear at least as far as junction top which supposedly continues over the middle range - Te Raketuangiangi also 1605m,  an named 1660 peak, Thunderbolt 1633m and Motutere 1646m before descending to Waipakihi river (I saw the signpost by the river, it certainly wouldn't have been at all obvious without it, near the climb back up Urchin - also not obvious without the signpost!)

I wish I'd have known about this before, though it would definitely be a good weather route as you would be exposed to the elements all day and this would probably make a 2 1/2 day trip though.