Author Topic: Pohaturoa  (Read 4208 times)

Pohaturoa
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:45:42 PM »
Anyone climbed this? It's the large volcanic plug next to the Waikato river just below Atiamuri Dam, clearly visible from SH1. Apparently there's a track up it, but no idea of access/details. According to this page there's a track up it. http://wikimapia.org/7982119/Pohaturoa Running it past the criteria:

Accessibility: There would be no snow/ice issues. It looks steep but I'm guessing the track wouldn't involve anything more than a scramble. Permissions would be the question, as I think it's on forestry land.

Physical/Cultural:
It meets the height requirement- not sure of the exact height but Google maps shows it at at least 520m, with at least 240m of prominence above the surrounding terrain.
Id imagine the views would be excellent, given it's steep profile and the fact that it's surrounded by some quite dramatic country.
It has an obvious summit.
It's right next to two highways (SH30 and SH1), and within an hour of Rotorua, Hamilton and Taupo.
It has cultural significance, from the wikipedia entry on Tokoroa: It is traditionally recorded that one of the great fighting chiefs of the Ngati Kahupungapunga, Tokoroa by name, was slain by Ngati Raukawa during the siege of Pohuturoa, a high rocky eminence 27 km south of Tokoroa on the main Taupo highway.
It's definitely a foot track only (too steep for anything else)
It's named.
It's an isolated peak, not part of a range.

Here's a photo, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondered about it!

Re: Pohaturoa
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:23:11 AM »
Yeah that is an impressive looking peak! I drove by there a while ago and wondered the same thing. No tracks marked on my topo map, and with all the forestry around it assumed it must be a no-go. If it is possible to get up here, I would be very keen for a recce!
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
ditto, i was looking at the topo map of it on my gps when we drove to tongariro a week ago....i wonder??  there is a road on the right after you pass the SH turnoff, the next one as heading south...i wonder what is down there??

Interesting link here with quite a detailed history...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=168220

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »
I called by here on my way back from Tauhara for a quick recce. Driving down Tirohanga Rd (the one mentioned by Vino) revealed more vertical rock along the southern side too initially. The western side (LHS in photo) looks a possible way up (although obscurred by trees, so hard to say). Drove down a couple of short forestry roads, but no sign of any obvious tracks. Looks like a bit of local knowledge (if there is indeed a track) or a bush bash may be required.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:57:49 AM by GuanoGerbil »
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »
the route has to be up there in your photo i reckon, up one of those gullies with vegetation...what do you think? looks more promising from that side than the other in my opinion

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:48:18 PM »
Here's a guide on how to get up...
(From an old book my Father has)

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »
Nice info pyed! Thanks! And wow some impressive pictures on your flickr album...wow!

What is the name of the book do you know?  Some of these old books/maps are gold these days!

Based on your photo Guano, and the below description I reckon the route is something like this...??

Trip one day soon to have another look?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:56:25 AM by vinodrinker »

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
Yeah spend a bit of time in photography, works hand in hand with peak bagging.

The book is called Bay of Plenty-Rotorua Walks and mentions that it is a Herald publication, published in 1983, see attached image below.

I vote use my image if it does get official peakbagging status  :) :

Let me know if anybody makes it up there (and bonus points if you record a gps track).

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »
I think Guano is keen for a look. I would be too. Nice Pictures wow, publish a book :-) Id buy!

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »
Yeah definately! And I've got that publication hidden away somewhere myself - never thought of looking there! The Herald put a few of them out - I've also got a Northland area one.
Maybe we should organise a PB group recce trip to this potential peak one weekend. Thanks for the beta PP!  :)

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 04:35:24 AM »
Had a good look around Alder Road a couple of days ago looking for nearly 30 minutes for a track.  There just doesnt seem to be one anymore.  Bashing through the pine trees just doesnt seem an option the place is absolutely infested with waist high blacklberry e v e r y w h e r e!

There is no sign at all of a trail.

So, happy for someone else to go look, but just looks a no go.  Could be a chance to transfer the title of world's worst tramp though.  If you go looking be prepared for a whole lot of pain

C

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
Thought it was about time I put this baby to bed.

I turned off SH1 down Tirohanga Rd, then right into Alder Rd. 500m down there is a parking area on the LHSide. Thought this looked like a probable place to start a walk from days gone by, and it's almost directly under the obvious gully visible through the rock bluffs high above. The blackberry barrier didn't look so bad from here either, and I found a relatively easy way through it a few rows to the left of the carpark as you're facing uphill. You're then going uphill through the pines and bracken. This part could be considered bordering on unpleasant, but there are remains of numerous previous foot-traffic going up here intermittently which makes it easier as you come across them. If the going gets difficult, look for more tracks either side of you. Or just give up and crawl - I found this to be just as efficient.

Once you get past the pines, the views open up and you're at the base of the rock bluffs with the gully welcoming you ahead. I very nearly opted for the rather nice looking rock chute scramble veering off to the right, but then found a wooden post just to the left which indicated the broad green gully was the way. Sure enough, I found the remains of some old stairs almost immediately which confirmed my suspicions. There were a couple more stairs as well, although all completely overgrown now and not a lot of use. The real fun was at the head of the gully which ended in a rock band to navigate with only a few shrubs of dubious quality to hold on to. After the first rock step you could go either left up the steep vegetation, or right up more rock. I opted for the right and found a handy fallen tree to climb up which helped. From here it was then about 200m of bush bashing along the ridge to the summit. Zero views due to the very overgrown bush from the top, but some nice ones from lower down.

Coming back I was pleasantly surprised to find the descent down the rock section easier than expected. Take care - although it's not far, you really need to be confident on steep terrain to get through this step. Even shortly after getting down this part I found myself in the surprising and awkward position of lying flat on my back with my feet high above me at one point after mistaking a very solid looking tree to hold on to as actually being solid. Don't trust anything. Quite a difficult position to turn around on steep terrain!

Coming back down through the bracken/pine combo was easier with my GPS trail from before to follow - I wanted to make sure I came out at the same place I went in!

It only took me an hour each way - I expected the vegetation would have slowed things down a bit more than that, but if you just suck it in and get on with it, it's not so bad. The overalls, gloves and an old pruning saw (which I used as a slasher) worked well, although with the 26 degree heat, the overalls came off pretty quickly once I was clear of the scrub.

The far western side looks a definate possibility too. The top section looks easy, although slightly lower down is obscured by trees so difficult to tell.

I can send a gpx file if anyone wants one, but the route is only very short and pretty obvious (just aim for the gully and up is good). No doubt you can just follow my trail of blood anyway.

Not recommending this for consideration for official status for obvious reasons. Be warned - this climb is for sick puppies only. If you think getting dirty is icky-poo, or if the idea of having to make your own track and climbing something with the risk of almost certain death just isn't that much fun, then this probably isn't for you. Don't forget to pack spare trousers. And a container for the blackberries - they're in plentiful supply! ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:48:07 AM by GuanoGerbil »