Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 9814 times)

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 06:59:24 AM »
Hi Curt, and welcome....

I was suprised to see quite a few nice peaks around Queensland...  we've done that one by Sunshine coast airport...  I always forget the name.

Feel free to compile an Aussie list for us and post it here on the forums!

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »
Hi all, my names Peter and I live in Hamilton. I've done all the local peaks and bush walks around the Waikato and now have to travel further a field for new challenges.
My love of tramping started with geocaching. As I did all the easy caches around Hamilton I started doing the one's that required a walk in the bush. The more I did the more I liked it, now you'll find me out and about most weekends in the bush geocaching and bagging peaks.
Also, I'm in training at the moment as I'm walking the Milford track in March next year.
Cheers, Pete.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »
Hi Pete

Funny, we have found a couple of geocaches without even looking for them. One was at the top of Kaweka J under the rubble at the foundations of the now non existant trig.  Seems a long way to go to such a remote spot to tick that one off. We left our name on the piece of paper inside and also left the link to this site hehe

Also chatted to a guy on Mt Te Aroha who tracked down the one that is near the summit there..

I know what it is like having to go further afield for new bags.  I haven't added to my list since february, though now summer is approaching will will be climbing a few more!

C

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »
Like racoonpete (as I've only just now discovered!), I am a geojunkie . Geocaching often gives me an excuse to go and bag a few peaks to keep fit, but now I've stumbled upon this site, I've now got another one! ;D

I quite enjoy a bit of hard tramping to keep fit, with the odd epic thrown in for fun (3 or 4 day tramps done as a day walk). But what I really live for is climbing, especially in the mountains, so this site suits me quite well!

I'm a member of the CNI section of the NZ Alpine Club and help out with snowcraft instruction each winter up on Ruapehu. I'm happy to help out in any way I can in regards to any questions/advice required on the white stuff.

This site is a great idea - now I've actually got a reason to bag those peaks  ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:56:29 AM by GuanoGerbil »
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 04:21:19 PM »
Guess I should formall introduce myself...

My names Dave and I grew up in the Bay of Plenty. Wasn't too much much of a tramper growing up but still managed to knock off a few on this list with family, school trips etc. Moved to Australia a few years back and got more into it whilst over there with my Australian fiancee. Now back in NZ for a bit and keen to bag a few more!

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 07:58:46 PM »
Welcome Guano and SpaceMonkey.... great to have to you here!

We're really glad you find the site useful....     

I'm afraid to try geocaching Guano, as I know I'll just become a addict to that as well!  One crazy tramping addiction is enough!

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »
Hi, I'm Andy and I've recently moved to windy Wellington from rainy Scotland.
I've climbed a fair few peaks back home and I'm looking forward to getting some proper exposure to the NZ mountains. I've a ten day holiday coming up where I intend to attempt some of the peaks in the Tongariro National Park.

One thing I started getting into back home was ridge walking/scrambling and I'm hopping there'll be opportunities here to further pursue this.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 04:30:18 AM »
Hi, My name's Mark.  Currently living in Hamilton as a CompSci student at Waikato Uni.  I found this site after researching usernames in the logbook of a geocache I stumbled upon accidentally at the summit of Karioi (GuanoGerbil, The Freezer Mice). Looking to start bagging a few peaks in the Waikato region to start with.  I'm relatively unfit, but this gives me a reason to get fit... I'm also looking to pick up GPS and start geocaching.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »
Hi Mark

Guano's been everywhere man!  Peak bagging is a good start to get fit and not as boring as staring at a wall in a gym!!  My fitness noticably improved to the point now that I run also to go the next step. Welcome!

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »
G'day Mark - nice to have another bagger from The Tron!
Well done finding my geocache without even using a GPS, and pleased to know that it brought you to this site! The fact that you stumbled upon the cache suggests it has been moved and was plainly visible? If that's still the case, then I may have to go for another walk up there for a bit of cache maintenance before it gets muggled. Any excuse wil do  ;D
Geocaching is another good fitness motivator if you're going to go for the more adventurous ones (I've got one on Pirongia as well if you're keen). You can bag a peak AND a cache at the same time. Enjoy!
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 05:11:09 AM »
G'day Mark - nice to have another bagger from The Tron!
Well done finding my geocache without even using a GPS, and pleased to know that it brought you to this site! The fact that you stumbled upon the cache suggests it has been moved and was plainly visible? If that's still the case, then I may have to go for another walk up there for a bit of cache maintenance before it gets muggled. Any excuse wil do  ;D
Geocaching is another good fitness motivator if you're going to go for the more adventurous ones (I've got one on Pirongia as well if you're keen). You can bag a peak AND a cache at the same time. Enjoy!

Yeah, the cache was just sitting directly under to the weather meter.  I'm pretty keen to start Geocaching.  I've created myself a profile on the website, but I'm not going to start logging caches until I get a GPS (and that won't be anytime soon due to finance :/ ).  Doing so gives me an excuse to do Karioi again, and I'll drag my sister up with me.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 09:25:19 AM »
trade me is the best place to buy gps. lots of new ones on there at half retail price

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »
Hi, my name's Steve and I've been in NZ nearly 4 years now but I guess I'm still a Pom.

Most my tramping experience is from the English Lake District and it is still a magical place in my memories. I saw the South Island for the first time last year and I could happily get lost forever up in the those exposed glacial mountains. However, for now, I'm Auckland based and working on hardening my two kids to the rigeours of tramping (evil, bad dad!!!), making the best of the North Island's volcanoes.

This year I've set my sights on the 'Naki, Te Aroha, Pirongia and all the Auckland/Northland peaks but I'll leave the kids behind for the big climbs. My favorite NZ place to date is Tongariro national park, both winter and summer. I'm pleased I've found this website and want to congratulate all those who have made it what it is, you've done a great job. I hope I can add rather than detract.
Fortune Favours The Brave or The Unlucky Learn To Be Cautious?

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »
Welcome, Inspector Clouseau, great to have to you here.  I loved the Lake District too.... I'm a bit of a saddo fan of the Wainwright books.

By the way, how did you find this site?   Google, or somewhere else...?

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 03:58:25 AM »
Welcome aboard Inspector! Good to see the posts flowing already. I too loved the Lake District and ended up marrying a Pom and bringing my souvineer back here.
Incidently Jon, I originally came across your site whilst searching Google for info about a peak I wanted to do (I think it was Makorako). The name of the site sparked my curiosity enough to check out what it was all about - one quick look and I was in!