Author Topic: Made it a maiden overnighter  (Read 2275 times)

Made it a maiden overnighter
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:52:16 PM »
November 2010 - Dry for weeks - Car Park at End of Hot Springs Rd - Easy 2 days

We chose this track as a trial for my first NZ overnighter in a hut. It can easily be done in a day but we had additional ambitions and I was also a bit worried about a recent soccer foot injury so taking it easy was the order for the weekend.

There is a wonderfully obvious circular route for this walk so we ascended the steep / short way up on the northern side of the circuit. It is a very pleasant forest walk most of the way but only very occassional glimpses of views.

We dropped the overnight gear at Te Rere-a-tukahia Hut (about 1.5-2.0 hr tramp from car park) and pressed on uphill after lunch (ignoring the warning signs at the start of the path). The views from an unmarked Mt Baldy summit are very satisfying though the wind does fair whistle across the top there. The path is indeed unmaintained and difficult, though active youngster will still find it rewarding.

However our plans were to press on and summit Tangitu and Wahine Rock further on down the old north-south ridge path. Sadly this all went a bit wrong. The path after Mt Baldy is either ankle breaking, grass covered potholes or completely overgrown, possum decimated bush! Coupled with paths that bypassed the peak at Tangitu and looked threatened by recent landslips, I started to get second thoughts. Having a dodgy foot and a knee that was grumbling at pushing bush sideways, we called it a day and headed back to the hut. On the way down the knee well and truly gave out. Good job we stayed at the hut!

The journey down the south side the next day was taken super slowly and involved a stick to lean on. I was surprised how effective this worked out. The track down was mostly gradual, following an old rail trail. Despite the discomfort from the knee this part of the route was one of the most pleasant walks I have enjoyed in NZ. We got down in about 2.5 hrs, even with a gammy leg.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:54:17 PM by Inspector Clouseau »
Fortune Favours The Brave or The Unlucky Learn To Be Cautious?

Re: Made it a maiden overnighter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »
Mt Baldy Loop Route

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:36:07 AM »
nice, i took the kids up there and yip the wind screams through over baldy!  Nice visual using google...i find it very good tool for giving perspective on a planned route!

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:06:43 AM »
Congrats on the peak, Baldy certainly is a windy place!

Sounds like the old North-South track is rather overgrown, was hoping to do it at some stage this summer? Any thoughts on the viability of the track?

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »

Sounds like the old North-South track is rather overgrown, was hoping to do it at some stage this summer? Any thoughts on the viability of the track?

I didn't get far enough along it to be an authority but it definately was over-grown, hardly used and not maintained. However there were path markers that could be followed on the section we tried. Also be aware that there have been a good number of landslips in the area (possibly from the possum deforestation???) so there's always a bit of a risk you might walk into a dead end?

Curiously, I do wonder why they closed the old ridge top track / route? I'm sure it would make a terrific multi-day walk along the tops there.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »

I didn't get far enough along it to be an authority but it definately was over-grown, hardly used and not maintained. However there were path markers that could be followed on the section we tried. Also be aware that there have been a good number of landslips in the area (possibly from the possum deforestation???) so there's always a bit of a risk you might walk into a dead end?

Curiously, I do wonder why they closed the old ridge top track / route? I'm sure it would make a terrific multi-day walk along the tops there.

Thanks for the info.

I'm certainly more of a tops guy so the old route appeals to me a lot more than the new, lower option. Definitely something to try over summer.