Author Topic: Footwear for Holdsworth  (Read 2193 times)

Footwear for Holdsworth
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:57:55 AM »
Advice please  ;D

Are tramping boots a must for Holdsworth summit and return via gentle annie in late spring/ summer or would good trail shoes suffice?

Travelling from Auckland on plane so if I can get away without lugging hiking boots I will do so.  Heard its a pretty well maintained track with just open tops type trail after the hut??

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:02:52 AM by vinodrinker »

Re: Footwear for Holdsworth
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:30:08 AM »
I did Holdsworth wearing trainers in very dry conditions last summer - no problem.   On the same day of course, a load of mountain runners also did the entire Jumbo circuit, and they weren't wearing tramping boots.

That said, there is a very steep section below the bushline, and I imagine that it could get pretty muddy and slippery after rain, so it probably depends on conditions.  Also, most of the regulars up there (e.g. the race marshalls from Tararua tramping club etc) were all wearing boots.... so they probably know the conditions around there better than I.

I guess if I went again, I'd probably wear boots, especially in spring....

dunno, would you wear boots on the Tongariro crossing?  or high heels?  :)  I'd be more inclined to wear boots up Holdsworth than on tongariro

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 04:48:32 AM »
Thanks John

We will only go with a good forecast.

Light boots for the nippers, i will go with my new trail shoes which have good vibram soles and Mel can make her own decision. Will be a big day out for the little ones thats for sure but after they monstered 7.5 hours in the Hunuas a couple of weeks ago I think they are up for it, they are insanely fit

C

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:00:34 AM »
oh yeah,

seriously, if I can do it, your girls most definitely can! 

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »
i ended up wearing trail shoes which were fine.  however on snowy slushy tops I was thinking boots would have handled those conditions better.  i was also thinking i shoulda taken my gloves after all.  I made the kids take theres but then didnt take mine!!