Author Topic: Fantham's Peak as part of around-the-mountain circuit  (Read 2697 times)

Fantham's Peak as part of around-the-mountain circuit
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:20:11 AM »
We reached Fantham's Peak near the end of our round the mountain tramp (five or six leisurely days) over New Year's 2008.  We had stunning weather the whole time, and getting to the top of Fantham's Peak and overnighting in Syme's Hut was a highlight of the trip. 

A German tourist we shared the hut with climbed the south face of Taranaki on the same day, which I wouldn't recommend without axe and crampons.  He had trekking poles and tramping boots and reported it as a bit sketchy in the ice near the top.  I think he may have been lucky to get away with that - you'd fall a long, long way.

The scree bashing up Fantham's Peak can be a struggle but in the right weather it's worth it. 

We had such exceptional weather on this trip that I've gone a bit overboard on the photos below, which include shots of Taranaki (the big snow covered peak) and of Ruapehu (distant, in a couple of shots).  Check out the sunset shadow of Taranaki in one of the photos.

We were really privileged to get this abnormal weather, a stunning sunset, and the whole shebang.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 05:27:41 AM by ellisp »

franchytopher

Re: Fantham's Peak as part of around-the-mountain circuit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:24:32 PM »
Congrats!

I'm insanely jealous.  Still haven't managed to get down and do Egmont yet.  Hopefully this summer, fingers crossed.

Photos like these just make me want it so much more!

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:07:59 PM »
Peter

3rd photo. Is that "pile of rocks" looking thing Fanthams Peak proper? Did you climb up there???

C

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
Hi Vinodrinker

No, that pile of rocks isn't the peak proper.  The "summit" of Fanthams is quite a broad area with two or three little proturberances, one of which is the pile of loose looking rocks.  The actual summit is about 30 metres higher and behind the hut.  We didn't go and explore the pile in the photo.  The photo's there, in theory, to show the view of Ruapehu in the background.  It looked more spectacular in reality - always does!

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 04:58:23 AM »
looks awesome....    damn I hate winter....unlike many around here, I'm generally allergic to snow, rain, and cold winds!   need to toughen up I guess  :) :)