Author Topic: Bald Knob - Where are you?  (Read 2033 times)

Bald Knob - Where are you?
« on: February 27, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
Date: 2008
Weather: Great!
Approach: walked entire Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk track in anti-clockwise direction, so came to Blad Knob on day four.

Bald Knob is not easy to find! On the maps it looks as though it is right on the track, but the true bald knob is actually about 50 metres from the track and not obvious at all. Eg. no track, markings or a sign. I was lucky enough to be wandering along at the same time as a guided group, and the guides showed me where to go.
Fantastic views! Definitely the best on the whole track. It was such a clear day we could even see Mt Ruapehu.
But if you are planning this as a day trip from Onepoto, try to get a detailed report from someone first! Even then you probably won't have any luck, it is very hard to find any distinguishing features along that section of the track. Just hope that you bump into one of Walking Legends' helpful guides! The views on the way up are great though and it's worth a wander along the ridge.

Re: Bald Knob - Where are you?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:54:25 AM »
Hi there Aloof, and welcome....

Thanks for the info.....  this sounds like a tricky place to find...   do you think there would be another suitable spot (preferably that could be done as a daytrip from onepoto) that could act as a 'summit' or high point along the bluffs?

Sounds like a great spot once you find it though....  but sounds like taking a GPS or a guide is the only way...

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »
On the contrary, I think that having an elusive peak adds more to the achievement and pleasure in bagging this one! From Onepoto it is only about one hour up to the Bluffs, which are dramatic, but not as remarkable, and definitely not as high as bald knob. I will contact those guides at walking legends and ask if they can give me some pointers to write a detailed description, or see if they want to write one. stay tuned...

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:24:28 AM »
Wow, you've added some pics since I was last here.... and that looks like an amazing spot.... 

Let us know how you get on with Walking Legends - we can offer them a fee plug in return for any information they can provide of course.

otherwise, I'm sure we'll build up some instructions over time, and I'll have to make it a priority to visit.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
Well I contacted Rob from Walking Legends and this is what he wrote back...
Ah yes bald knob... the best kept secret on the lake waikaremoana track! It took me several seasons of guiding before i spotted it. Gleaning info from guides, such as the best spots, is of course a major reason for going guided! That and the fact that you have a lite pack and a glass of wine and delicious meal awaiting you at each hut. As you eluded it is a little difficult to point out any significant land marks, however i can offer this advice: about one hour from the bluffs look out for a patch of bush on the eastward side of the ridge (and track) that is lower and more wind stunted than the gnarled old silver beech trees elsewhere. a fire went through here years ago. from the track you can look straight out over this stunted regen and have quite good views of the hawkes bay farmland. from this point you hang a right off the track, walk under the tall beech trees through grass out to the cliff edge, about 30 metres. Viola! there you have it. if you find yourself walking through a water worn trough in the track that is overhead, you have just missed it!
So is that enough detail? Because Rob was so forthcoming with this info I thought you could put their website link up, for guided walks at Lake Waikaremoana and Tongariro with all the trimmings, and exceptionally nice guides I'd like to say!! http://www.walkinglegends.com
Looking forward to more descriptions surfacing...

franchytopher

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »
Darn, just realised I obviously haven't bagged this one from those photos.  I did Waikaremoana 6 weeks ago, but thought it was on the track, so have ticked it off the bagged list.  Guess I'll have to do it again.  Damn.   ;)

Jon - there are the two trig stations as possible destinations.  Wouldn't Panekire Hut be a good point for the 'summit' goal anyway?  It has to be doable as a daytrip from Onepoto, it'd only be a medium grade I'd say.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »
Jon - there are the two trig stations as possible destinations.  Wouldn't Panekire Hut be a good point for the 'summit' goal anyway?  It has to be doable as a daytrip from Onepoto, it'd only be a medium grade I'd say.

I reckon you can count it if you've made either Bald Knob or the hut- given that the hut is both higher and further! But I would say that since I missed the knob too! Ah well like you say an excuse to go back.