Author Topic: Suggestions and Future Plans  (Read 4433 times)

Suggestions and Future Plans
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:19:42 AM »
Hi,
Just thought I'd give a quick welcome and an update of sorts and where the site is at.

As I write this the site has been live for about a week, and really is still in  'beta' mode you could say.   There is still plenty to do on it before we start promoting it more widely, but don't let that stop you telling your friends about our existence!

We welcome your thoughts and ideas at this early stage.    Of course, suggestions for peaks we've missed are especially welcome, as are trip reports for any of NZ's summits (no matter how large or small).

We also welcome ideas for improvements to the site.  We can't promise anything, as we're still working our way through our own list of ideas, but the more the merrier.

Here's a brief rundown of what we have planned for the future of the site:

• Further implementation of Google Maps
  • Google Earth versions of the tracks we have marked on our topographic maps
  • A way for you to keep track of what peaks you've bagged
  • Accommodation options
  • Adding more details to many of the North Island peaks, and adding more North island peaks
  • The not insignificant task of working up the South Island list to Revision 1 standard!
  • A way to recognise people who have bagged all the peaks

There's a few more, but that is more than enough to keep us busy!

if you have any other thoughts, lets hear them!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:26:46 AM by admin »

Re: Suggestions and Future Plans
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
192KB total pix per post isnt much!!??!  :o  you can only get a couple of small pix per post with that  ;D

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »
Another Suggestion...

Maybe a section to write up peaks that arent on the official list/s???

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
This is great, congratulations on a great site that is an NZ first.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:12:36 AM »
192KB total pix per post isnt much!!??!  :o  you can only get a couple of small pix per post with that  ;D

Yes very good point!  I've fixed this now, so it should allow you plenty, although individual images need to be kept under 350kb.     But you can now post up to 12 images per post, or up to 3500kb per post.  We'll try that for now....

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:19:32 AM »
Another Suggestion...

Maybe a section to write up peaks that arent on the official list/s???

Yes - I think for the moment the best idea is just to write them up in this General Discussion forum with the peak's name as the post title - and mark it 'unlisted peak'.  From there, they will gradually get moved into their own forums and have pages created if they get on to the official list.

In time, we probably need to devise some whole workflow around getting new peaks onto the list and how to manage that.  We have a number of options, including voting or wiki pages...     But we'll wait a few months before reviewing that I think...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:30:15 AM by Jon (aka site admin) »

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:21:33 AM »
This is great, congratulations on a great site that is an NZ first.

Cheers Leah, and welcome....  and thanks for your trip reports!  The more we get, the better the site will become, so thanks
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:41:54 AM by Jon (aka site admin) »

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:12:10 PM »
wow, I just found this site but had no idea it was so new!!

The list is very helpful, and the details are great, lots of info.

Quick question/s (or suggestion)
- how do I view my list of walks that I logged when I registered?
- Can I add walks to my list, with out logging comments

>>Whoops, answered my own question. It's not till I entered the forum that I could see my profile button in the top right of page. So managed to edit my details there

Will certainly log some comments and pics at some stage soon tho.

Great idea for a site, love your work

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:28:16 PM by nzsnowchick »

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:25:46 AM »
Hi NZsnowchick, and welcome!  We're glad you like the site.

I see you answered your own question, but just to elaborate....    yes once you've logged in, you can go into your profile and then click the 'Forum Profile Information' link - on that page you can mange the list of which peaks you've bagged.

To view what peaks another user has bagged, you can click on their username next to their posts, and view their profile.

I only added that feature a couple of days ago, and it's pretty basic at the moment.  I also need to improve some of the navigation to it from other parts of the site.

The peaks list and comments are separate, so you can do one without the other.  I'd like to tie them a bit closer together eventually though, and add a 'date bagged' field and other things too.

Quick question/s (or suggestion)
- how do I view my list of walks that I logged when I registered?
- Can I add walks to my list, with out logging comments

>>Whoops, answered my own question. It's not till I entered the forum that I could see my profile button in the top right of page. So managed to edit my details there

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:24:24 AM »
It's pretty cool! I forwarded the site link to a whole lot of friends.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »
you may have thought of this already....

how about a NZ map broken up into 4-6 zones, so when you click on the zone you have a list of the walks in that area? Would be good for tourists and geographically challenged (like me, when it comes to the south island...)

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
Yes, i do have the beginnings of a North island map around somewhere, so i will get on to finishing that and put it up.  I agree, for visual thinkers like me a map of all the peaks is a necessity!

Thanks for reminding me about that - it had dropped off my to do list somehow.

UPDATE:  I've done this now, and there is a Google map for both the North Island and South Island lists.

See:
http://www.peakbagging.co.nz/index.php/North_Island_Peak_Bagging_Map
http://www.peakbagging.co.nz/index.php/South_Island_Peak_Bagging_Map

Let me know if you spot any problems.

We plan to gradually add more Google Maps to the individual peak pages as well....

you may have thought of this already....

how about a NZ map broken up into 4-6 zones, so when you click on the zone you have a list of the walks in that area? Would be good for tourists and geographically challenged (like me, when it comes to the south island...)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:02:12 PM by Jon (aka site admin) »

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:32:54 AM »
Love Google Maps .. keep up the good work but you could use a customised mountain icon aka would look cooler hehe shadow for the image is here

Sorry its one of pet projects at work :-)

The Terrain view is F.A.B!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:25:24 AM by bacchus »

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 02:03:56 PM »
welcome bacchus...

Yes I did fiddle with different icons (yours would be perfect) but unfortunately using other icons seemed to break the automated Google Earth generator I'm using on the page.  It's a bug with the plugin I think, and will be resolved one day I guess....  at which point that icon of yours would be perfect

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 07:20:05 AM »
Can supply assistance if required. Am versed in aspects of Googleness  :) Vinodrinker and I are hopefully off to do Mangatangi in the weekend fingers crossed weather wise ...