Author Topic: Wiki Page To Do: Karangahake Mountain - Waihi Gorge  (Read 2850 times)

Wiki Page To Do: Karangahake Mountain - Waihi Gorge
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »
Here is one I did last week which must be considered.  Accessed from the historical Karangahake Gorge Reserve you can muck around in the old gold tunnels and historical sites before pressing upward to the peak which is an approx 510m climb up to 544m. Although it is not as tall as some of the surrounding peaks it is reasonably isolated from them which gives a great outlook.

It is an impressive peak which appears to tower over the gorge and offers great 360o views.  Track is pretty well formed, moderately steep and goes through some intersting bush, streams etc.

Cross the river via the suspension bridge and take the pretty scotsmans gully track to the top. turn left onto crown hill road for approx 15 mins before you hit the karangahake mountain track on your right. Head up here

One thing to note.  The DOC map (and info boards) do not show an unmarked track which clearly forks to the left after about 20 minutes climbing the karangahake mountain track section.  I didnt take this track as I was confused and stuck to what I thought the perscribed route. Talking to some other hikers i confirmed this is a quicker and more challenging route to the summit. I will take this option next time. Whether you take this option or not be aware of its existance to prevent confusion against your map

If you opt for the marked route continue on for a good half an hour before the summit track peels off to the left after a easy time on pretty flat track scooting around to the back of the mountain. After peeling off you climb up surprisingly wet and soggy bulldozer track for a while. id expect this to be very boggy and greasy over winter as the gorge is notoriousaly rainfall heavy and leaf over clay isnt too foot steady. The last section is over scrub on rocky overgrown track as you sneak up on the summit from behind. (the unmarked track rejoins proceedings here)

Views are super from the trig which is only 5 minutes further on once it comes into view

As an aside, to me compared to the wellington region, the coromandel peninsula is under represented. Another to consider is Kaitarakihi, a 852m peak accessed from the Hikuai-Kopu Road (SH25a). Probably will do that this weekend so will report.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:14:42 AM by Jon (aka site admin) »

Re: Suggested Addition: Karangahake Mountain - Waihi Gorge
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:41:13 AM »
Hey this one looks great!  beautiful little spot for a trig!

yes I agree, there must be some more in the Coromandel.... keep em coming...

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:53:10 AM »
Nice area to wander around. 
Took my kids up there a year or two ago, via Dickey Flat.  Son was 3 or 4 & walked all day, little machine.  Daughter 5 or 6 required carrying a lot of the way down the mountain. 
Yes there were some steep slippery sections going down & I recall some extra tracks & following my nose.

Have always intended to go from Karangahake over to Te Aroha (Mangakino Track from Dickey Flat) but don't have the time I used to have. Maybe when the kids are up to sleeping in the bush.

Kaitarakihi is a nice walk.  Carry on to Hihi & then to either Broken Hills or Kauaeranga Valley.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:59:33 AM by nz_aj »

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »
As an aside, to me compared to the wellington region, the coromandel peninsula is under represented. Another to consider is Kaitarakihi, a 852m peak accessed from the Hikuai-Kopu Road (SH25a). Probably will do that this weekend so will report.
Karangahake Mountain, Good pics there, must visit that one.

I found Kaitarakihi peak, off the Hikua - Kopu road alittle disappointing, as there were limited from the Top, as the Trig and summit have been totally overgrown with bush.  A pity as it is significantly higher than the Pinnacles.  There are occassional views through the bush, but I recall the view the view from the Pinnacles being more impressive (though many years since I did the latter).  There is a short chained section onto Kaitarakihi but otherwise it's an undulating track through the bush from the summit of the road.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:42:52 PM by lloydy »

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »
yes the view from the pinnacles is more impressive, however views from the top of Kaitarakihi definitely are not non existant.  Not much to the north (you get a glimpse of table mountain, but there are views over whangamata, south down the kaimais to te aroha and west across the plains.

Yip we discussed at the top that a pruning saw would improve the top no end

it is a fun track though with all the steep sections, i quite enjoyed it really

Re: Decision Required: Karangahake Mountain - Waihi Gorge
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »
It's got a trig, nice views and is very accessible, so yeah I'd say it's a goer  :)
I was curious about the track that dropped straight down from the trig towards the river. I followed it down for a while thinking it may have offered even better views. It didn't, but it would be interesting to find out where it goes.
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

Re: Decision Required: Karangahake Mountain - Waihi Gorge
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
Add but maybe make the unmarked track the prescribed route as taken by bonkers on my advice.  Its shorter, steeper and better views

Re: Wiki Page To Do: Karangahake Mountain - Waihi Gorge
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 03:42:55 PM »
Ok I have added a blurb etc on this. the more techo stuff - pix, maps etc i will leave to someone more capable!!

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 05:24:46 AM »
OK, I've finished the page... take a look....  http://www.peakbagging.co.nz/index.php?title=Karangahake

PS, have only mapped the DOC track for the moment, because I wasn't sure where exactly the other one went.  But have listed the shortcut as an option.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 05:36:40 AM by Jon (aka site admin) »

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 07:29:11 AM »
Looks good Jon! I can't remember too many of the details enroute, but looking at the topo, I obviously took the shortcut up too (only took me 30 minutes at a brisk pace this way).
When can we log it as an official bag?  ::)
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 03:32:34 AM »
I've added a new map showing the shortcut (thanks vino)

I finally managed to get hold of Taupiri people. She's just checking, and will get back to me - hopefully with a week.  So I'll put all our new ones then (hopefully including Taupiri)