Author Topic: Makorako [Admin: and starting an alpine mountaineering section??]  (Read 9272 times)

I soloed Makorako (1726m) on my Cape to Cape traverse in 1995.
Being the 7th highest in the North Island, I thought it might get a mention.
Yes, I am aware it would normally take a 'normal' tramper 4-5 days to walk in, climb, & return,
but recently guys have climbed this from a hut in the Mangamaire Valley, (which they choppered into.)
It this gem ommitted because of access issues - I understand permits can be obtained thru Air Charter Taupo for most Kaimanawa Ranges private access - or just the plain ol' inaccessibility?

Surely the highest ten peaks on the Alpine Club list should all be listed - some of us get bored with running up The Mount (Mauao) every weekend.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:35:37 AM by Jon (aka site admin) »

Re: Makorako - and starting an alpine mountaineering section??
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:15:07 AM »
Hi, and welcome Ledge...

and welcome to the joys if compiling such a list for NZ!  :)    there are literally thousands of summits we could include.  We started off with ones that we personally had some hope of standing on in our lifetime.  not being mountaineers or 'hardcore' trampers, we've so far left off many of the highest summits.  This was primarily because writing up such a list just goes straight into the too hard basket - and also because we don't feel qualified to write of mountaineering adventures.

I think the best way to think of the 'accessibility rule' is to imagine you are hosting guests who are staying from another country - and if a summit is one you would advise them to visit, without needing any special equipment or experience, and without being concerned for their safety, then it probably is suitable for the list we have made so far.

But there is a lot of logical sense in starting another list or section which is not governed by this restriction.  The only thing we would need is some volunteers who are committed to creating content for such a 'mountaineering' list.  We could probably open it up to the public as a wiki as well, but it would need someone to moderate it all...   consider this an official invite to anyone who is interested....

Cheers, Jon

Re: Makorako (Highest mtn in the Kaimanawa Forest Park)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
PS, we are planning a new & improved way to keep track of what peaks you've bagged, and this will include the ability to add ones that aren't on the list so far, so at least that way you'll get an added sense of achievement and bragging rights!

Re: Makorako [Admin: and starting an alpine mountaineering section??]
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:57:12 PM »
Sadly, I'm a hardcore tramper no longer....
... I got married. (ie started eating really well).

I don't think a 'mountaineering' section is what's required - (I'm no mountaineer, just an 'alpine tramper' who did a course one winter, so I would be more confident on snow.)

How about just adding the 8-10 highest mountains, but make it clear that, depending on the season, they are sometimes difficult, or inaccessible to all but the more determined enthusiast.

What-da-ya-reckon?

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 02:24:49 AM »
Are talking just North Island's ten, or South Island/NZ's highest 10?

is it possible to climb Mt Cook by being just a determined enthusiast??   ;D   :o

But in general, I don't think it would do any harm to contain a little more general info on NZ's mountains in general.  We get a few Google searches for "South Island highest mountains" and similar things, probably from school students.  All those poor school kids are probably hitting our list and submitting answers that are completely wrong!   ;D ha ha   Oh well, that'll teach them how to research properly

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »
Jon:

My suggestion was just the Top Ten mountains in the Nth Isld.
They can all be reached WITHOUT ICEAXE OR CRAMPONS by determined enthusiasts , given the right as &  seasonal conditions. I know cos Ive done them (highest eight), in my tramping boots. Yes, I also ascended Ruapehu & Taranaki & ngauruhoe & Tongariro with axe/crampons when conditions demanded them.

Access can change over the years, too,eg Mt Hikurangi was no-go around The Year 2000.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:48:53 AM »
oh yes, thought you must have meant the north island highest 10....  yes good idea.  I'll post some more in this thread about it a little later when I get a moment...

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »
Makorako - that one is on my must do priority list! I went up Thunderbolt a couple of weeks ago (a nice 10 hour round trip) and was struck by this peak - it is just screaming "Climb me!"
I feel another mission coming on...

'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:51:17 PM »
I reckon this is a definate contender for official peak status. Yeah sure it's remote, but it's just so big and pointy that it simply must be done! Think I'll have to go do a recce for a bit of 'research'  ;D
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
Is Makorako really much more remote than something like Arete which is already on the official list??

Really though Makorako you couldn't consider a day walk...what is it 50km round trip and 4000m total vertical climb?  Id say for the fit and sane it would be 3 days minimum staying at the hut obviously and one big summit day

Though for a madman it would be worth a shot to see if it is possible to do in a day??  I vote Guano be selected as crash test dummy on this one  ;D

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:32:22 AM »
Oh the sleepless nights I have spent thinking about this epic. With 3 mountain ranges to cross each way, it's probably closer to 4500m total ascent and I reckon it would take even a gerbil around 20 hours return. I've never quite been reduced to finding myself lying exhausted in a pool of sick yet (well, not quite...), but I think that this would be that walk.

I even got to the point of going to Turangi one night, setting the alarm for an alpine style 3:30am start, and then not being able to get to sleep at all just thinking about the impending pain. I sensibly decided to bail at the last minute - going solo over untracked terrain for that distance with no sleep beforehand was probably not a wise move.

I think maybe I'm getting too old (sensible?) for this sort of sillyness. As much as it pains me to say it, perhaps a 3 day style recce may be on the cards first...

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »
http://www.airchartertaupo.co.nz/tramping.htm

looks like you have to negotiate a route, even then the green route which travels closest passes a bit north of the summit??

obviously it's possible as people do it, just a matter of finding out.  id be keen to tag along guano (perhaps a multi day first time round?) !

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
Yep, green is for go!  ;D
Looks about right, just turn off south to bag the peak. And yes, you just KNOW that if (sorry, WHEN) this one goes down Vino, that it's up for some serious nomination action  :D
We'll treat this as an official peak bagging recce...