Author Topic: GG's Pouakai  (Read 380 times)

GG's Pouakai
« on: March 31, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
Although I'd previously done the Taranaki Northern Circuit as a day walk, I hadn't actually been up to Pouakai. Dover track would be the quickest way up, and going by the write ups, one of the more pleasant options too.

The description given in the link provided is pretty accurate. The first 5 minutes is up through long grass before heading into the bush. The track is muddy, but not tooo bad. Worth wearing boots if you prefer just bashing through the mud rather than side stepping it all like I usually do - wimp that I am, mud is just so icky poo  ;D

The steepness gradually increases until you finally break out of the bush. From here the track is drier, and the views good. The steepness doesn't relent however, and in fact you are shortly faced with a fun bit of rock scrambling.

The views from the summit are fantastic. Instead of looking up at it, Taranaki is right there beside you in all her glory, with great views out to Ruapehu and over the coast. This is a must-do peak!

Although it's sign posted as 3.5 hours, it took me just over 1.5 hours up. I drove down from Hamilton that morning and was back down at the car by lunch time. So I headed on over to the nearby Patuha in the Kaitake Range and climbed that as well to make the drive down worthwhile. This is another potential peak to include (Henry is the other one). I've included write-ups on both of these as potentials.
'There is always a risk in being alive, and if you are more alive, there is more risk' -Ibsen