Author Topic: Mt Hobson Great Barrier Island  (Read 550 times)

Mt Hobson Great Barrier Island
« on: April 08, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »
Friday Ė Took the 4.5Hr Sealink ferry ride from Auckland to Tryphena Harbour and drove our vehicle to the carpark at the start of Forrest Road track.  This track is a forestry dirt road all the way to Kaiaraara Hut which could be walked at night.  Make sure you divert up the Maungapiko peak but donít take the Kiwiriki track that says the hut 4Hrs unless you want to add another 2Hrs to the tramp so instead carry on up the Forrest road track which only took us 3:35mins from start to hut.
Saturday- Took the beautiful upper Kaiaraara track, diverting an additional 90minute to and from Coopers Castle which I felt was worthwhile and arrived on the Mt Hobson (or Hirakimata) platform 4.0Hrs tramping time from the hut.  There are a lot of steps up going clockwise verse the normal anti-clock, Hobson has amazing views.  Mt Heale hut is only a further 30minutes walk.  We climbed to top of Mt Heale (there are no tracks and it is not for the faint hearted) due to the short day.
Sunday-Taking the Peach Tree then onto the Tramline track we descended down to  the Kaitoke Hot Springs for a soak.  There are many pools to choose if you walk up the side track.  We then walked the 15minutes back up Tramline track again and took the connecting track left back to the Forrest Road track to where we left our vehicle.  I recommend this lovely walk rather than the open unshaded 2.2Kms metal road. 
A wonderful tramp around the Aotea circuit, donít forget to book the huts online ($15/night).  I was able to get a ferry for 4 people and a vehicle for only $400 but donít forget to take a book to read and camera there are lots of islands to see.

Re: Mt Hobson Great Barrier Island
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
Friday Ė Took the 4.5Hr Sealink ferry ride from Auckland to Tryphena Harbour and drove our vehicle to the carpark at the start of Forrest Road track.  This track is a forestry dirt road all the way to Kaiaraara Hut which could be walked at night.  Make sure you divert up the Maungapiko peak but donít take the Kiwiriki track that says the hut 4Hrs unless you want to add another 2Hrs to the tramp so instead carry on up the Forrest road track which only took us 3:35mins from start to hut.
Saturday- Took the beautiful upper Kaiaraara track, diverting an additional 90minute to and from Coopers Castle which I felt was worthwhile and arrived on the Mt Hobson (or Hirakimata) platform 4.0Hrs tramping time from the hut.  There are a lot of steps up going clockwise verse the normal anti-clock, Hobson has amazing views.  Mt Heale hut is only a further 30minutes walk.  We climbed to top of Mt Heale (there are no tracks and it is not for the faint hearted) due to the short day.
Sunday-Taking the Peach Tree then onto the Tramline track we descended down to  the Kaitoke Hot Springs for a soak.  There are many pools to choose if you walk up the side track.  We then walked the 15minutes back up Tramline track again and took the connecting track left back to the Forrest Road track to where we left our vehicle.  I recommend this lovely walk rather than the open unshaded 2.2Kms metal road. 
A wonderful tramp around the Aotea circuit, donít forget to book the huts online ($15/night).  I was able to get a ferry for 4 people and a vehicle for only $400 but donít forget to take a book to read and camera there are lots of islands to see.
  Bagging Mt Hobson actually completes all 62 North Island peaks but the leader board shows differently perhaps it is only counting completed trip reports.  This accomplishment means the end of my quest (I finished all but Kapiti & Great Barrier Islands by 2013)  Live a full, less ordinary and adventurous life, be kind to others God bless.