Author Topic: Kapakapanui 1102m, Tararua Ranges  (Read 899 times)

Kapakapanui 1102m, Tararua Ranges
« on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:03 PM »
3Hrs from Elder hut to Renate hut (an old, cold, rat infested hut with a fire, Elder hut recommended).  30min West of hut you cross a metal 4WD track, ensure you cross over to the far side and stay left not down the track itself, some fools have destroyed the Doc signs.  The track from here to Mt Kapakapanui was boggy and an arduous climb up to the summit which took 2:40 from Renate hut.  Nice views if weather was clear but not this day.  The Doc sign indicates 3-4Hr to Renata, 3-4Hrs to Ngatiawa Rd & 1 Hr. to Kapakapanui hut from the trig.  I took the non-hut track i.e. Southern most track and was out in 1:44.  There is no cell Ph coverage in the Ngatiawa valley so arrange a lift beforehand.  There are 4 stream crossings at the start of the track so be wary if itís been raining.  Total time from Elder hut was 6:25. This completes 12 peaks in 6 days I now really need some more up in the Waikato area as Iím running out of peaks in the North Island.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:15:17 AM by Sasquatch »

Re: Kapakapanui 1102m, Tararua Ranges
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:46:03 AM »
That is a lot of peaks bagged in a short time...nice work. Your fitness must be humming now!